Almost two years ago, I was sitting in the car and I remember thinking that there was a glaring lack of sewing support groups that were based in Australia. There were plenty of buy/sell/swap groups, but questions always seemed to get lost in the sea of pretty, pretty fabric.
At the time, I was a member of an American based group and I felt like I was out of my depth. Whenever a sale or voucher was shared, it would be American. Whenever they recommended somewhere to buy something, it would be an American store. Of course it was! It was an American group. Not to mention that I was just beginning to sew and the creations the members posted up were stunning!
I wanted somewhere I was comfortable posting, somewhere that felt like home.
And thus, from the passenger seat in the middle of a highway, we witnessed the birth of Australian Sewing Advice and Inspiration.
As the member tally quickly passed 1000, then 2000 I came to realise that I wasn’t the only one who felt the lack of Australian sewing support. I was blown away by the overwhelming reception the group received, the members embracing it with the enthusiasm and excitement.
As the community continued to grow, recently passing a member count of 15,000, it has been my honour and privilege to be able to witness the transformation that has occurred over the past two years. I am truly humbled to be a part of it and I am excited to see what the future holds.
Such a wonderful success in only 2 years for a group to establish, not only that but the members are helpful ,encouraging, friendly and the moderators do a great job keeping things running smoothly. Haven’t been a member for long, but I love reading the posts from everyone.
Thank you for your great creation.
Well thanks for allowing us to come along for the ride!
It has inspired me sooo much in so many ways that I cant measure but these are some of the ways I CAN MEASURE
Since joining your awesome group I have
-bought my daughter and i a sewing machine
– set up a dedicated sewing area
– set myself the goal of making one wearable item of clothing for MY wardrobe that reflects me (im a size 20 when I shop I am just happy to find clothes that fit my overweight- pettite-pear body!!
– ive started the event on Australian Sewing Advice and Inspiration to make four gifts a month and many many others have come along for the ride!
– i bought the Aldi overlocker
– ive sewn STRETCH fabric for the first time in 30 years of sewing!
– i sewed Lycra lol!!!! First time ever!
– ive been inspired to sew with kids! Ive sewn with four year olds and an 8 year old with very special needs
– i have made my first patchwork quilt!
– ive bought and fallen in love with my rotary cutter and self healing mat
– ive given only hand sewn gufts this year
– ive set myself bigger goals and i am going to make myself a ball gown! (Ok a wedding dress without the wedding – just a kick arse party (Not just yet…)
Wow, that’s awesome Cherie! I’ve found this group really encouraging and my sewing has definitely improved since I joined.